Welcome to Using Microsoft Windows 8.1. Whether you’re new to computers or have used them in the past, this class will help you become more comfortable using a personal computer (PC) and, more specifically, the Windows 8.1 interface. This course will help you to define what a PC is, and familiarize you with the Windows 8.1 user interface and its basic capabilities. In this course, you will explore Windows 8.1 and learn how to create documents, send email, browse the Internet, and share information between applications and with other users.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to perform basic work-related tasks on a PC running the Windows 8.1 operating system.
- Get to know PCs and the Windows 8.1 user interface.
- Use Windows Store apps and navigation features.
- Work with Desktop applications.
- Use Internet Explorer 11.
- Customize the Windows 8.1 environment.
- Use Windows 8.1 security features.
This course is designed for any end user, especially an individual new to computing, who needs to use the features and functionality of the Windows 8.1 operating system for personal and/or professional reasons.
This course is intended for new computer users who want to use the basic tools and features of Windows 8.1. No particular prerequisite skills are required, but any previous exposure to personal computers and the Internet is helpful.
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- CD-ROM drive
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- 1024 × 768 resolution monitor recommended
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor's computer screen
Microsoft Windows 8.1
Lesson 1: Getting to Know PCs and the Windows 8.1 User Interface
Topic A: Identify Components of a Personal Computer
Topic B: Sign In to Windows 8.1
Topic C: Navigate the Start Screen
Lesson 2: Using Windows Store Apps and Navigation Features
Topic A: Access and Identify the Charms
Topic B: Windows Store Apps and Common Navigation Features
Topic C: Multitask with Apps
Lesson 3: Working with Desktop Applications
Topic A: Navigate the Desktop
Topic B: Manage Files and Folders with File Explorer
Topic C: Elements of a Desktop Window
Topic D: Create and Modify Files with Desktop Applications
Lesson 4: Using Internet Explorer 11
Topic A: Navigate Internet Explorer 11
Topic B: Browse the Web
Topic C: Use Internet Explorer 11 on the Desktop
Lesson 5: Customizing the Windows 8.1 Environment
Topic A: Customize the Start Screen
Topic B: Customize the Desktop
Lesson 6: Using Windows 8.1 Security Features
Topic A: Set Privacy Levels and Passwords
Topic B: Use Windows Defender
Topic C: Store and Share Files with SkyDrive
Appendix A: Other Windows 8.1 Features
Appendix B: Help+Tips App
Appendix C: Windows 8.1 Navigation Summary