Your previous experience with Microsoft Excel has given you a solid foundation in working with this software. You can use Excel efficiently and effectively to solve problems for your business. In this course, you will learn about some of the more advanced features of Excel, including automating common tasks, auditing workbooks to avoid errors, sharing your data with other people, analyzing data, and using Excel data in other applications.
Beyond the basic features, Excel offers many advanced features that will help you create better, more accurate workbooks. There are also tools that allow you to share your work with other people.
This course can also be used to prepare for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam. The appendix maps this course to the standards and objectives of this exam. There is also an assessment file to test your knowledge.
- Automate worksheet functions.
- Audit worksheets.
- Analyze data.
- Work with multiple workbooks.
- Import and export data.
This course is intended for a student who has experience working with Excel and would like to learn more about creating macros, working with shared documents, analyzing data, and auditing worksheets.
To ensure your success, you will need to have a comfort level with the basic skills of Excel like entering data, working with data, using functions, and working with formulas. To meet this prerequisite, you can take any one or more of the following Logical Operations courses:
- Microsoft® Office Excel® 2013: Part 1
- Microsoft® Office Excel® 2013: Part 2
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- 1 GHz Pentium®-class processor or faster
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- CD-ROM drive
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- 1024 x 768 resolution monitor recommended
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor's computer screen
- Microsoft® Office Professional Plus 2013 Edition
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (The course was developed using Windows 7, so if you are using an operating system other than Windows 7, you might notice some slight differences when keying through the activities.)
Lesson 1: Automating Worksheet Functionality
Topic A: Update Workbook Properties
Topic B: Create and Edit a Macro
Topic C: Apply Conditional Formatting
Topic D: Add Data Validation Criteria
Lesson 2: Auditing Worksheets
Topic A: Trace Cells
Topic B: Troubleshoot Invalid Data and Formula Errors
Topic C: Watch and Evaluate Formulas
Topic D: Create a Data List Outline
Lesson 3: Analyzing and Presenting Data
Topic A: Create Sparklines
Topic B: Create Scenarios
Topic C: Perform a What-If Analysis
Topic D: Perform a Statistical Analysis with the Analysis ToolPak
Topic E: Create Interactive Data with Power View
Lesson 4: Working with Multiple Workbooks
Topic A: Consolidate Data
Topic B: Link Cells in Different Workbooks
Topic C: Merge Workbooks
Lesson 5: Exporting Excel Data
Topic A: Export Excel Data
Topic B: Import a Delimited Text File
Topic C: Integrate Excel Data with the Web
Topic D: Create a Web Query
Appendix A: Importing and Exporting XML Data